Sunday 13 September 2015

I moved away from home and followed my fear


well well well....

This past month has been definitely a busy one for my self. I moved away from home. Here's my journey:

Back in January 2014 after I had finished my time at high school (since I had gone back for one semester to upgrade some classes even though I didn't really need to, I just wasn't ready to leave that part of my life yet to be honest) I had literally no idea what I wanted to do in college but I did know that university was not for me. All through high school my love for nail polish and related things grew and grew. I never saw esthetics as an option as a career for me because I felt like it was mindless work and wouldn't provide me with a great future so I looked into other courses I could take in college. I never could find something I could see myself doing for potentially the rest of my life.
After the college application deadline had passed on February 1st, 2014. I felt like such a failure. I felt like because I never submitted an application to a program that year, I would never find a program that I could see myself in. The weeks following I channeled my feelings into my nail art because it is something I was and still am passionate about. And that was that, an epiphany. Why not follow my passion and go to school for esthetics even though I thought I wouldn't be happy with the money aspect afterwards once I started my career. Now I just had to find a school that I wanted to go to.

When I was looking into other programs I came across a massage therapy course at Humber College in Toronto, Ontario. If you were to ask my friends if I were to live in any city, I am so sure they'd immediately say Toronto. I have such love for this city and have so many great memories there. So I just felt like Humber College was the right place for me to be. So when I had finally decided to pursue esthetics as a career I looked if Humber had any related programs and there it was, Esthetics and Spa Management. I knew instantly that this is the program I am supposed to take since I have always wanted to work for myself and own my own business. I knew this school would be the place that I start my career.

Within a week of finding out about this program I decided I would apply for the following January (2015) intake date instead of the coming September so could work until then since I figured out financial aid wouldn't cover all of my expenses. As January grew closer and closer, I did not feel ready to move away to school and I did not feel like it was right timing within my personal life. I decided to wait once again. This time I was so sure that I was doing the right thing, I knew by the time school came around in September (2015) I would be ready to make this huge change.


So here I am today, sitting in my rented room away from home looking back at how this past year and a half has gone for me. I moved to Toronto on September 1st, 2015. I just finished my first week back at school. I am so flipping excited to start this new stage in my life.

Being as excited as I was about finally going back to school that only thing I felt appropriate was to obviously paint my nails to reflect so.


Here are some pictures of my design:

Free hand painted the Toronto skyline
Added some acrylic paint for a water colour effect

This little three word quote has been a driving force in keeping me
inspired and motivated within this whole process.
I feel like if you aren't afraid of what the outcome of a risk you are
about to take you aren't going to progress and grow from the
experiences that challenge you in life. Yes moving was very scary and
challenging for me but I knew that I had to do so to become a better me.

I was so busy the week leading up to my move I didn't even have time to take off this design, so I actually had this on for a bit over two weeks.

no chipping, no touch ups in two weeks *heart eyes*
Since I'll be working with my hands in school in my practical classes we need to have short nails so here are some before and after pictures from chopping my nails off.

Before
Just clipped, and still too long for school
Nail length as of today


I would love for you to join me on my journey through school and life as I update my blog hopefully more frequently than in the past.
If you ever feel stuck in a place throughout your life, please do not be afraid of taking chances and following your fear, it will only lead you to bigger and better things. ♥


xo
- Kassie


No comments:

Post a Comment